Exploring SeaBalance, a new natural cold process emulsifier
SeaBalance 2000 from CarbonWave is a new COSMOS approved, natural, cold-process emulsifier derived from sargassum seaweed. (INCI name: Sargassum Fluitans/Natans Extract (and) Xanthan Gum (and) Pentylene Glycol).
Above is our second lab video and the video at the end of this post is of our first trial, shot in July 2022, just before SeaBalance won the In-Cosmetics Korea Innovation Zone Best Functional Ingredient Award.
Comparing SeaBalance to the other natural cold process emulsifiers we have tried, we found, in general, emulsions creating with SeaBalance were more stable, provided a high level of vegetable oils were included as well as longer shear times.
As always with emulsions, especially cold process, it is preferable to add stabilizers. For general information on how to create more stable emulsions click here.
How to Formulate with SeaBalance
- Usage rate: 4-6%
- SeaBalance is more effective with higher oil concentrations
- It is preferable to use vegetable oils instead of non-polar oils
- Add a minimum of 0.3% polymer or gum, such as xanthan gum to help stabilize the emulsion
- Add SeaBalance to the water phase and mix well before pouring the oil phase to the water phase
- Homogenize under high shear until the emulsion is homogenous
- Small amounts (DIY/homecrafters) in Europe: Plena Natura Europe
- Small amounts (DIY/homecrafters) in USA/rest of World: Simply Ingredients USA/rest of World
- Spain/Portugal/UK: Grolman
- UK: Aston Chemicals
- India: DK Speciality Ingredients
- South East Asia: Chemico
- Italy/Greece: Bregaglio
- DACH/Poland/The Baltics: Biesterfeld
- Korea: Intercare